Wednesday 9 March 2011

Statistically Speaking

My first blog post was one month ago today. On that day I didn't know if I would  be able to come up with things to write about. If spell check would save me from total humiliation. If anyone out there in cyberspace would bother to read my little ramblings.

I knew very little about blogs (still at the low end of the knowledge spectrum) and it came as a complete surprise to find that Google kindly provides me with statistics. So I know when there has been a good day (the record is 26 views in one day) and I have bravely ignored the bad days (where were you??).

Some people are reading it. Some of them I know and some I have never met. The numbers are low but, conversely, higher than I expected - especially just one month into the blog. For those who have given me feedback - thank you. For all of you returning and reading new posts thank you. It is so nice to know that what I am writing is entertaining enough to bring people back for further offerings.

What has been surprising is where my page views are originating from. On that note - a huge hello to everyone in Finland! Yes folks, Finland is firmly in second place on my popularity list. Who ever would have thought it?! I have one friend in Finland. Well, one friend who I have met face to face and known for a number or years. I know she is reading this blog because I told her about it and she tells me she is enjoying it. Now I feel I have new friends in the making there. How cool is that?

I have only been to Finland once and I went to a little piece of paradise. Lying at the mouth of the Gulf of Bothnia - the body of water that separates Finland from Sweden - is an archipelago of islands called the Aland Islands. It is a unique place that has autonomy from Finland and long historic ties with Sweden so the spoken language is Swedish. If you ever want to see a beautiful, unspoiled, laid back and fantastic corner of the world that few people have ever heard of - go there. I highly recommend it.

The majority of my other readers come from the UK (first place) and Canada (third place). But I have been read by friends in Kuwait, Sweden, the USA, Ireland and New Zealand (okay, that was a cheat because my brother was on holiday there). I have also been found by people in Singapore, the Netherlands and Israel. I wish I could float down the fiber optic cables and meet those people and ask how they found my fledgling blog, what they thought, and if they have any inclination to return. But I can't, so I will have to just sit here and wonder...  and wonder...  and wonder. Well, a person has to do something while they are crocheting!

And this is how far I got in my crocheting in the past 24 hours -


All the squares are joined up and I have started the border. I would have liked to have had a double row of that gorgeous blue around the edge to balance out the double rows that lie between all the squares but - statistically speaking - I didn't think that this...


... would be enough yarn to get all the way around the circumference again. Oh well, that's life.

So, once again, a big thank you to everyone who has supported me in this endeavour. It has been surprisingly fun to come up with ideas to write about and incredibly exciting to see who is reading me where. Hope you continue to return.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.