Sunday 22 May 2011

Having A Rethink

I have spent quite a lot of time on thinking about my mini quilt for the Brit Swap today. And eventually I came to the conclusion that I would not be able to go with the original design. I can't show the original design either as if my  mystery partner happened to look at my blog then she would know it was for her. Confusing but it really has to stay a secret.

So after cutting pieces of paper as templates, all that thinking, more templates and some crunching up of templates in a disgruntles manner, here is the bit that did work from the original design -


I cut the fabric and then played some more with ideas and decided that I would have to go with 'perv bird'. When I first posted the sketch of my potential quilt on the fickr page for the swap a number of my fellow swapees named the bird, who was actually part of my practice session for drawing birds on the edge of the paper, as Perv Bird because he looked like he was looking up the other bird's bottom and that was why the bird on the post was singing.

So we had the singing bird, perv bird and then I cut one more to bring a bit of balance to the right hand side of the quilt. Three birds, scooter girl and I am considering whether I want to have a gnome in the foreground as well. He is currently only roughly cut out and placed on the background to see how I feel about it all.

The applique bits are cut but nothing is attached. This is the way it currently looks. There is still potential for change. We shall see.
What do you think?

I had intended to take the girls to a fair that was in the village this weekend. But I am still not in tip top form, and more importantly, Helen seems to be suffering from the bug to a certain extent as well. She keeps falling asleep which is very unusual as this is the child who refused to nap from 15 months onwards. I am dead jealous of the sleep thing because I want to and am failing miserably. Maybe I can try for a nap if when they go back to school tomorrow.

Meanwhile I have a chicken roasting and the girls are pleased because I made sausage stuffing. I had better go get that all sorted then. Hope you had a good weekend.

Susan

5 comments:

  1. Looks fab! I live on high strength vit.C every day to keep colds away. Hope you feel back to full strength soon. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're keeping pervy bird :-) Hope you're fully recovered soon - not that it seems to be holding you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to get my head round this applique thing before I head back home - I need to get my mum to show me...well done with the mini quilt, it seems to be coming together really nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm I'm liking the perspective! Pervy birds are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you are creating there...very pretty! Can't wait until you can reveal all.

    Hope you are feeling better soon..sounds like you've had the stuffing taken out of you...hopefully your chicken with stuffing will put some back in :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.