Monday 6 June 2011

Name That Tune

I'm linking this post with Quiltstory's Fabric Tuesday. You can click on the link and see what other people have been creating with fabric all over the world. There is some incredible creativity out there so why not have a look.


Fresh Poppy Design



I did it! I finished my very first mini quilt for my very first quilt swap. And I know it isn't perfect but I am really, really pleased with it. I managed to do things that I have never accomplished before in quilting - free motion applique, embroidery, creating effects like on the fence post.

I set out with a sort of plan. My first idea didn't work out. But this quilt evolved from the original idea. I have every finger and toe crossed that my partner will like it and not line the bird cage with it. It isn't easy to make something for someone you have never met, never seen the interior of their house, never got stupid over a bottle of wine with. But, for better or worse, this is it, my mini quilt -


The only thing missing is the label for the back. I am so pleased with the binding. I had to think long and hard if the dots would work, not colour wise, but if I could make them lie in the same place all the way around the quilt. I knew if they went off kilter the whole quilt would look wonky so I am thrilled I managed to get the binding on without too much hassle - and even the places where the fabric is joined aren't too obvious (except for one).



We have scooter girl -


And the frog prince -


And a birdie singing a tune (with a perv bird below - you have to follow the convoluted conversations on the Brit Swap flickr site to understand that comment) and the big question I now have is...

... can anyone see beyond my rudimentary embroidery skills and tell which tune I was trying to embroider onto the quilt? I have no musical skills at all - don't ever ask me to sing and I failed to even conquer the ukulele in school. I tried to follow the music I printed off to the best of my ability. So (please) Name That Tune -



I backed my little quilt with the very appropriately named Tweet Tweet fabric from Moda -


So, partner, if you ever read my blog do you suspect that this one is for you? No one knows until the end of June when the quilts get posted to their recipients. This will then go to a new home, my very first 'arty' sort of quilt.

Susan

23 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Sus! The binding is perfect! Sorry can't work out the tune (not v.musical either!). I would be delighted to receive this & you should be v.proud of what you've achieved.Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You`ve done a fabulous job and of course your partner will LOVE it. How could she not? You`ve raised the bar Susan and pushed yourself to learn new skills. Can`t name the tune but love your embroidery. WOO HOO winging its way to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous mini quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! I wouldn't complain if it came to live at my house! Can't name the tune, but that is down to my own lack of musical abilities and not your embroidery skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Susan - it's so beautiful. What an amazing achievement - you have stretched yourself to learn some new skills and your partner is getting a fabulous quilt into the bargain. That, my dear Susan is most definitely a RESULT! I have tooted but a few rusty notes on my hubby's tin whistle and think I've guessed your wee tune with my (very) rudimentary musical knowledge, but I don't want to say in case it' a clue for your partner and I give the game away - but very clever if it is, Miss Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic, well done. You are right to be pleased with it. No idea what the tune is though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hold the phone - I may have presumed too much on even my basic musical abilities and fear that even though I didn't embarrassingly reveal my guess, I am probably wrong in what I thought. Will wait for proper musical genius to do the guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fab, I'm loving all the different elements including the little frog and the woodwork on the fence! I'm such a sad muppet, I went to Musipedia and typed in your notes to see what the tune was...nothing obvious jumped out although it suggested songs by Queen, John Lennon, the Rolling Stone and Dusty Springfield amongst others :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is super Susan!!! You did an amazing job and your partner should be thrilled!
    As for the tune I have no idea...God save the Queen or Oh Canada maybe ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No idea on the tune, but know that this is a fantastic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it the Birdie Song?
    Sorry, the quilt is fantastic. You partner is a very lucky girl. Have a glass of wine to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautyful! I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I love your mini quilt! Every detail is so wonderful! Fantastic idea to make the sky with defferent blue patches!
    Sunny wishes from Crete! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so sweet - love all your fabulous details!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah the birds,the musical notes, the curvy stitching so wonderful and sweet!!!! THX for showing her off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's absolutely gorgeous. How can your partner not love it? But can you bear to give it away - I know I couldn't! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the sweetest, cutest little quilt! I love it..you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's soooooo sweet. And I really like the detail on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so very fantastic! I am in love with the birds, scooter girl is adorable and frogs win my heart EVERY time. Really nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute, it really stands out in the fabric tuesday links! Love the sherbert pips girl. Nice to see a fellow Canadian in the group too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous - love the details you have done especially scooter girl and the frog prince :)I have recently made an "artsy trees mini quilt" and it was really fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It look fabulous. My favourite is how you used the little girl from the Pips fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.