Monday 19 November 2012

A Finish...

... which is a small miracle in itself. Seeing as I had two girls with two sore throats home today. Topped off with a car out getting fixed. The very fact that I got anything done at all goes against the odds. But the wonderful thing about sore throats - though wonderful is probably not the correct word - is that what feels dreadful in the morning and at bedtime is bearable in the middle of the day. Which means your mother then can ignore you guilt free.

If said mother then stops herself from going on the computer all day (yes, really, I did - almost!) she can get something done. Namely finish a quilt. You can't see it though. Because I just made the last hand stitch in the back of the binding, it's 7:30pm and pitch black outside. No unveiling will be happening today. Here's a little sneaky peek at what I did get up to in the process of finishing it though.



I FMQ'd the quilt all over in a flower and leaf design. Keeping with my way of doing things, it looks like someone grafted several plants together because there was a huge variance in the number of petals on each flower, and the size and shape of the leaves. But I don't care. Because it is done and I am not an idealistic perfectionist. I am a happy quilter. It thrills me that this quilt that I have been talking about for so long is finished. And I still have enough birds to do several others, though as discussed before I would think up a more logical pattern when I decide to do number two For the Birds.


As soon as I had finished the quilting (and retrieved my car from the mechanic) I cut, made and attached the binding. Then I sat and sewed. Made dinner, and sewed some more. And that is all you need to fill a day.

That and some sugar cookies. The girls were told to do something useful once they perked up some. They decided baking came under that agenda.


These cookies are very good.

Susan

27 comments:

  1. Oh your FMQ is fantastic Susan and don't say it's because of the regulator thingy on Swiss Tony. Can't wait for the big ta dah! Hope the girls are feeling better soon.x p.s please note I am first commenter - something that hasn't happened since April 2011 :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like your FMQ'g on For the Birds. And those cookies do look good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the grand reveal 'cos the sneak peeks look marvellous! The cookies look really delicious, I hope their throats feels better soon (maybe even tomorrow?!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo your birdies look great! Can't wait to see them in all their glory!
    Hope girls feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous FMQ! And those cookies look delicious. Hope the girls feel better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fmq looks fantastic, great design. Hope your girls are feeling better, jenny has been off all last week with tonsillitis-its the first weekend in over a year that she actually didn't go out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that was quite a productive day wasn't it. Hope the girls throats are better today. It's a great idea to put them to good use when they are encroaching on your day, lol!
    Your FMQ looks fabulous, a very pretty design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the girls are sufficiently recovered to make it back to school today. Those cookies look good though.

    I wanna see the reveal! I wanna see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, oooh, I can see it all on Saturday :oD Doubt I'll see any of those cookies though lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back to school tomorrow then? Wish my girls were big enough to bake! Look forward to seeing the quilt in all it's glory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your FMQ is comng along a treat. Glad that the girls are feeling better. A day off is just what they needed. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is nice when they are sick but not needy. I love that quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilting and do you loan out the cookie baking children? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! Hope the girls are feeling better tomorrow! Looking forward to the birdy reveal! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. All ready for the full reveal and having the girls fit for school too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. even with two sick kids you managed to have a productive day. Those sugar cookies will sweeten any bad day, won't they?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to your reveal, hope the weather cooperates and your little ones are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. let me say first the cookies look fab well done girls :))))
    the quilting is gorgeous ..got to get more practice in for fmq looking forward to seeing it all !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. eeeeek go you. I can't wait to see the full reveal!
    (yes sorry I've dropped off the face of the earth. Claire goes home tomorrow night so life should somewhat return to normal :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great going! Looking forward to seeing it. Cookies look goooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmm cookies. Great quilting. Hope everyone feels better soon including your car. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmm cookies. Great quilting. Hope everyone feels better soon including your car. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is that the quilt I think it is? I can't wait to see it finished! Show us, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh the birds are finished, look forward to seeing the reveal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.