Tuesday 27 November 2012

Feast or Famine

I can go a long time without buying fabric. And I am fine with that. Unfortunately one day the dam breaks and it seems that every time I turn around I just might have bought a bit more. This seems to be one of those times.

I said I went to The Bramble Patch yesterday with Katy. I also said I didn't buy a lot, and honestly I didn't. They did have something new in stock that I haven't seen there before though. Stof linens. In the most marvellous range of colours. I could have bought more. I might go back and buy more. The ones I just bought are destined to be used in Christmas presents so I don't feel to guilty about this purchase. Check out the marvellous colours.


The only other thing I bought was from the sale basket. I found a 1.5m cut of It's a Hoot and a 1.8m cut of Reunion text fabric. Katy and I went splits on these and cut the two lengths in half when we got back home.


See, I really didn't buy a lot. And on the plus side of all this was that Katy bought a lot more. Living in Scotland means she does not have a Bramble Patch loyalty card. I do. So all her purchases went on my loyalty card and this was enough to push me over the £200 mark which earns you a £20 voucher. Therefore if I go back to get more linens they are technically already paid for. Woohoo! Thank you, Katy!

That isn't all I have to show off though, as Terri is flying back and forth across the Atlantic to LA these days, in preparation to an eventual move there next summer. She very generously picked me up a half yard of coveted fabric from Super Buzzy while she was there last. It is going to take a lot of courage for me to cut this fabric. The urge is to hoard it, love it, occasionally caress it, but cut it?! Not sure I can do that. Terri also got a five pack of Olfa blades for me. I am not going to tell you the last time I changed my blade. Mostly because I told Katy and then I had to revive her with smelling salts the shock was so great.


Still not done on the fabric front though. Last summer I gave Terri some of my scraps in some lines she coveted. She brought me some of hers this time. Just check out the amazing fussy cuts waiting for me in this haul. And the lovely bits of HR. That toast one is to die for. And Little Red Riding Hood and the wolf. I've always wanted one of those girls in a kerchief too. I think the new year is going to have to bring some serious freezer paper piecing into my life so I can actually use some of these fabrics and make the most of them. Thank you, Terri.


More scraps arrived on Sunday with Trudi. She has been sorting all her fabric. She has a lot. But then she does quilt a lot so it should work out in the scheme of things. Trudi has very generously shared out some of her scraps to a number of people and I was one of the lucky recipients. It is sort of like name that fabric in this pile. DS, Summesville, TaDot, Terrain, etc. Thank you, Trudi.


You would think that was enough, but Di brought me a gift on Sunday too. It is a beautiful DS journal. I think you would have to see it to truly appreciate how lovely it is, but photos are going to have to suffice. All through it are touches of colour in the various Flea Market Fancy prints. It is gorgeous. Thank you, Di.


You think I would be done now, but I'm not. I resisted the Black Friday sales. I filled basket after basket online but then closed the window before I clicked on the 'checkout' button. It was killing me but when you added on the postage costs to the fabric costs I couldn't do it. I did find a compromise. A much smaller purchase than any of those ones I wanted from overseas, and from M is for Make so I didn't have to pay a small fortune for posting. Left to right there is Field Study, 2 x Soul Blossoms, Loulouthi and Flea Market Fancy.


Finally - yes, the last one - Sarah had a wee destash and jumped in there first and got three (yes, three!) charm packs of Terrain. Ever since the made the Terrain HST quilt I have been in love with the line. Of course it completely disappeared from the shops as other people loved it to, and bought it. Well, Sarah hoarded it and decided to hoard it no longer. My turn! Thank you, Sarah!

Sorry, I nicked the photo from Sarah's blog from a larger mosaic and then made it larger.
The lack of focus is entirely because I don't have the fabric to take a photo of yet,
but I wanted to fully disclose how out of control I have been in the fabric buying stakes.
There is nothing else to say. I am going to go sit in the corner and hang my head in shame caress my lovely fabric and cackle gleefully to myself.

Susan

34 comments:

  1. you should be ashamed of yourself. In fact, I think you should immediately send it all to me as punishment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Charlotte! I couldn't believe that you got the Terrain - I so wanted it! But you will probably make something with it, unlike myself, who would just sit and stroke it and cackle to myself with glee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holey guacamole batman - what a haul!! don't listen to the first 2 - keep, fondle and use with impunity - and isn't that stof linen divine? it's in oz too and i've been coveting a bolt or 2 myself! - you should also check out their 'pure' range - yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe.
    I have been purposefully (word?)
    not visiting fabric sites, as I am having a famine regarding fabric.

    The whole fabric world gets me in a spin, it's so easy to spend spend spend. Sometimes I shock myself by how much I've paid for fqs.

    So glad you've had such wonderful friends xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you need to get sewing with all that fabric. I spent a bit at Make too! Thought I'd try their scrap packs...fingers crossed as to what turns up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like a child in a sweetie shop! Enjoy! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It could have been a whole lot worse...

    P.S. Gorgeous, gorgeous fabric and presents!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done very well, I love each of these. I have to say I especially love the linen, I have been using linen a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you sure have had a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh what a lot of lovelies! Enjoy planning and making them up into some beauties to share with us in due course! Can still hear you cackling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It only proves that some days a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!!
    Way to go girl, cackle away with your pretties! Heeheehee...snort!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cor if I had known that all that fabric was at yours I might have been tempted to mug you! You have some lovely lovely bundles there. I look forward to seeing what you make with those pretties! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've reached that breaking point too on the fabric front....I've been soooo good for ages and then that Balck Friday stuff started and I was done for....what a weak-willed woman I am! (So you are not alone!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all your goodies. You deserved a blow out! Don't tell Katy I don't think I've ever changed my blade. Ssshhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can still hear you cackling...and Katy too! She bought so much in SLC she is going to have to move house soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the fabric - so it is a good feast! What will you be making!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my - those scraps of hard to find fabrics - lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yay, your spending makes mine look like nothing...so when I start to feel guilty I am just going to look at your post again and then I won't feel so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha, I did the same with those sales, just couldn't do it. Love the journal that Di has made - and all that fabric.....!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah we all need to spoil ourselves sometime- looks like Christmas came early to you! Enjoy your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG those are exquisite fabrics. I look forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tee hee - great shopping and swapping and stuff! You have kerchief girls!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Arghhhhhhhhhh...you've finally gone insane !

    Great effort with the fabric acquisitions...Im a little envious about all that fabricy goodness. A shopping trip may be in order!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just a little shopping :D
    Oh the journal is amazing! Where can I get one? I will cover it with the real fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey now, I in no way spent £200 to contribute to that card, not even half ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. And just WHAT are you going to say when Santa asks if you have been a "good girl" this year ? ? ? ? ?
    This post was a bit like too much Xmas pudding... you know you want more, so you do eat more, ...and then doesnt that feeling of 'getting away with it', feel SOOOooo good!
    Being naughty should happen more often!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats to you...you are deserving of every single inch! Except maybe the terrain, that might need to come to me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Christmas come early, obviously!! Can't wait to see what you get up to with all of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow. You really have had an early Christmas Appetiser. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Btw I can't actually remember the last time I bought fabric online. It's been a loooooooong time!! Not much has been bought locally either. I've been so good for a change

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, you did a great job fabric shopping.
    So who is Terri and where is she moving and when? Super Buzzy is about a 2 hour drive from me. I have never been there, but have friends that live in Ventura and plan on going the next time I visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hehe, that is one definite feast! I did give in to the Black Friday sales, but only from one place, I just ignored the international postage cost ;) I won't even go into the ridiculous ways I try and justify it to myself lol! Still waiting for it to arrive for my own feast!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I totally hold with the caressing of fabric. I'd sure want to save that super buzzy aqua/red squares fabric as well. It's so great! Who needs to buy food and petrol anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.