Saturday 10 November 2012

Lucky Dip?

The other day I was sat taking a moment reading blogs when I came across Lynne's (Lily's Quilts) latest post where she happened to mention that Justine (Simply Solids) was stocking Moda Scrap Bags. Well, I don't know about you but I have always been curious about what one of those would be like. Here is the photo that Justine had in her shop.


I might have been curious about these scrap bags but had never ordered one as (a) what if I got one that was full of Civil War repro fabrics, and (b) I wasn't willing to pay the shipping from the USA as it was slightly less of a bargain then. But shipping from not too far north of here is easily contemplated. I also might have spied that the bag on the right was a line of fabric I adore. So I placed an order and cheekily told Justine that if she still had the Bliss scrap bag I would happily take it.

And it is now mine, all mine!


What really thrills me with this bag of scraps is that I got so many of the reds from the Bliss line. I love their reds! I also love their aquas but my lqs had those in stock for longer so I was able to get cuts of those to have several of them in my stash. But the reds were sold out before I could think that far ahead. Now I have these lovely strips.

This scrap bag has 30 strips of fabric measuring about 32" long. They are all from the edge of the fabric so some have selvedges (for you selvedge collectors out there). The narrowest strip has 2" of usable fabric and the widest has about 3.25" of usable fabric. Am I pleased with this purchase? Oh yes!

If that purchase didn't boost my stash enough, then I found a package that himself had misplaced on me while we were away that was sent from Liz (Dandelion Daydreams) when I won a giveaway on her blog. It is some of her precious scraps, and she even sent me some HR! Thank you so much Liz! Love that strip of pink flowers front and centre in the photo.


I have also been doing some sewing. But it is too dark to take photos so I will go cook some sausages instead. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend.

Susan

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE a scrap bag!! Even the uglies!! you can always use them up in string quilts.
    I may have to indulge on some of these soon.
    Need to earn some cash first :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered a scrap bag too! I have thought exactly as you did! (Although wish I'd been cheeky enough to ask if she had a Bliss one still!) After seeing the simply solids picture with the Bliss line I figured maybe she'd got modern fabrics and not the old fashioned stuff I'd never use (and always seems featured in scrap bag pictures.) No idea what to do with the scrap bag now I have it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh good haul!! Enjoy those bangers x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the scrap bags and I ordered my second one yesterday (Justine took photos so I could choose - how cheeky am I?!). I used the first one to make one of my favourite quilts http://www.flickr.com/photos/60493980@N08/5710848554/ and I can't wait for my bag to be delivered. (No idea what I got but I liked the look of the top fabric!) Looks like you got a wonderful bag - are you adding it to your stash or saving it for a quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should have known there was something more to the old bags... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered quite a few scrap boxes by now. Sometimes you're lucky... And sometimes not so much. I think you're pretty safe when it's Moda scraps. Otherwise I'm (now) only buying craps from shops that carries only modern lines. Hope the bangers were good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really tempted to order one of these too:might wait now until Justine has more in stock

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought one of those at my local fabric shop a while back...love it!!

    Nice win;btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheeky dip no luck involved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got one too- mine was Butterscotch and Roses by Fig Tree

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cheek on you! I'm so glad you bought one - I've been dying to see what's in those little mysterious bags. Yummy scraps you have from L, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow and wow! You hit the jackpot. I love those reds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic - the red Bliss dots are my favourite dots EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmmm very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those scrap bags are such a cool idea! Bliss really is gorgeous. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love scraps bag to every little bit can go to a quilt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great scraps! I buy the scrap packs from Hawthorne Threads when I have a big order...they are very generous with their one yard for $10! Lots of great usable bits! I have that pink daisy too! Its a great fabric, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh fab! The one I ended up with from last year in a sale had chickens in it - enough said...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey that's great. I've always avoided scrap bags for the same reason as everyone else. I'd get the Katy's chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I only buy scrap bags when the shop lists what fabric line is in the bag. I have had 2 though that had less than 2.5" of usable fabric on all the strips. I will use them up eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm always worried about what you get in a scrap bag, however I do order scraps from Hawthorne Threads and FabricWorm and i've had great scraps from them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought 6 of those scrap bags a few years back and was thrilled when they arrived. They're so cute and you never know what you're going to get . You scored big time !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love bliss! Great score on the scrap front!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been tempted to order those bags, now I have to get me one. Congrats on winning the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.