Sunday 20 September 2015

Schnitzel & Boo Mini Swap

Last year I took part in the very fun Schnitzel & Boo mini swap on IG so when another round popped up in the feed and I realised I had a bit more free time than I have had for a long time I jumped right on the bandwagon. There are over 1,000 people taking part this time. That's kind of unbelievable.

I looked at my secret partner's inspiration mosaic, had a think, and came up with this design.

Drawn on Touchdraw on my iPad
My partner seems to like strong colours so the other day I started cutting. I didn't actually do a fabric pull, I just started from the centre of the design and worked my way out, making fabric decisions one by one as I went.


I have lots of thoughts about whether the grey cross hatch was the right choice, but decided to stick with it and hope that my eventual quilting of the mini will make it work in my vision.

I also decided to take the pattern a little further and expanded on it.


I kind of like the way it looks like a cog. There has been one more design adjustment that I have made on the fly, as I started piecing these little bits of fabric together.


Not sure if you can tell where it is in the above photo. This is as far as I got this weekend. I may have miscounted the size this block and it will be (slightly) over size. I am hoping that this will be over looked in the belief that it was the right decision in regards to my pattern.

So, somewhere in that 1,000+ people is my partner and I am hoping she is liking this. Because if she doesn't I will have to start from scratch. At least I haven't left all this to the last minute for a change.

Susan

12 comments:

  1. It's so striking! She'd be mad not to love it! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if I'm your partner I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it. the extra design change looks to be the points between the two purples? love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented and gifted. Your thinking never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous design :) - maybe for me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This should b perfect for someone that likes strong colours, and I am sure the size won't matter too much . x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to work with touch draw a little more. I might cry out for helP. This is lovely b

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK it's official...you are amazing! Just whipped up a little design...yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any chance I'm your partner? Even though I'm not in the swap or even on instagram?!! (Please, please, please publish this pattern!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is pretty fantastic. You do amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. EEk . . now I see how it was made I'm even more amazed. Glad it went to someone you "love"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.